Once a part of India, Bangladesh developed a competitive cricket team. Bangladesh is known for their aggressive approach and home dominance.
Despite lacking silverware, Bangladesh has earned passionate fans over the years. “The Tigers” have been involved in providing upsets to many giants of the game.
- Team: Bangladesh Cricket Team
- Also Known As: The Tigers
- Current Captain: Shakib Al Hasan (Test and T20I), Tamim Iqbal (ODI)
- Current Head Coach: Chandika Hathurusingha
- Current Batting Coach: Jamie Siddons
- Current Bowling Coach: Allan Donald
- Current Assistant Coach: Nic Pothas
- Governing Body: Bangladesh Cricket Board
Players Under Contract
- Three editions: Shakib Al Hasan, Litton Kumar Das, Taskin Ahmed and Mehidy Hasan Miraz.
- Test & ODI: Tamim Iqbal and Mushfiqur Rahim.
- Test & T20I: Nazmul Hossain Shanto and Nurul Hasan Sohan
- Test: Mominul Haque, Taijul Islam, Ebadot Hossain, Khaled Ahmed and Zakir Hasan.
- ODI & T20I: Afif Hossain, Shoriful Islam and Mustafizur Rahman.
- ODI: Mahmudullah Riyad.
- T20I: Nasum Ahmed, Mussadek Hossain Saikot, Shak Mahedi and Hasan Mahmud.
Bangladesh currently stand on the 9th position in the ICC Test rankings, 7th in ICC ODI rankings and 9th in ICC T20I rankings.
Bangladesh Cricket Board manages the cricket activities in the country. It was included in the ICC as an associate member in 1977. In 2000, It gained full member status.
The current members of the board are:
- President: Nazmul Hassan Papon
- CEO: Nizam Uddin Chowdhury
- Vice-President: A.J.M Nasir Uddin
- Headquarters: Sher-e-Bangla National Cricket Stadium, Dhaka.
Bangladesh Cricket Team Early Days and First Match
- Bangladesh began their cricket journey as an associate member of the ICC in 1977.
- Bangladesh was included in the Asia Cup in 1986 where they first played against Pakistan.
- Bangladesh qualified for the 1999 Cricket World Cup as they won the ICC Trophy in 1997.
- In 2000, Bangladesh became a Test playing nation after being granted full membership.
- Bangladesh faced India in their maiden Test in November 2000.
- In 2006, Bangladesh played their maiden T20I against Zimbabwe.
Bangladesh Cricket Team Stats
|ODI||409||149||252||8 (No Results)|
|T20I||150||54||93||3 (No Results)|
Bangladesh Cricket Team Achievements
- Winners of ICC Trophy in 1997.
- Semi-Finalists in 2019 Cricket World Cup
- 3 times finalists in Asia Cup
Some Unknown Facts about Bangladesh Cricket Team
- Naimur Rahman was Bangladesh’s first Test captain.
- Shahriar Nafees was Bangladesh’s first T20I captain.
- Gaz Ashraf was Bangladesh’s first ODI captain.
- Mehrab Hossain was Bangladesh’s first player to score an ODI century.
- Tamim Iqbal is Bangladesh’s first player to score a century in T20 internationals.
- Aminul Islam scored the first ever century by a Bangladeshi player in Tests.
Some FAQs about Bangladesh Cricket Team
Who is Bangladesh’s best ODI batsman?
Tamim Iqbal is considered as the best Bangladeshi batsman in ODIs.
Which team is considered as Bangladesh’s arch-rival?
Bangladesh and Sri Lanka are being considered as fierce rivals, especially after the Nidahas Trophy 2018.
Has Bangladesh qualified for the Cricket World Cup of 2023?
Yes, Bangladesh has gained direct qualification to the Cricket World Cup of 2023.