India, a nation that loves cricket with their whole heart. The Indian National Cricket Team turned into a powerhouse with time. Aggressive approach, passionate fans have led to the rise of the team over the years.
Cricket was introduced in India by the ruling British. The first recorded game was played almost 300 years ago.
- Team: Indian Cricket Team
- Also Known as: Men In Blue
- Current Captain: Rohit Sharma
- Current Head Coach: Rahul Dravid
- Current Batting Coach: Vikram Rathour
- Current Bowling Coach: Paras Mhambrey
- Current Fielding Coach: T Dilip
- Governing Body: Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI).
Current players under BCCI contracts:
- Grade A+: Rohit Sharma, Virat Kohli, Jasprit Bumrah, Ravindra Jadeja.
- Grade A: Hardik Pandya, Ravichandran Ashwin, Mohammed Shami, Rishabh Pant, Axar Patel.
- Grade B: Cheteshwar Pujara, KL Rahul, Shreyas Iyer, Mohammed Siraj, Suryakumar Yadav, Shubman Gill.
- Grade C: Umesh Yadav, Shikhar Dhawan, Shardul Thakur, Ishan Kishan, Deepak Hooda, Yuzvendra Chahal, Kuldeep Yadav, Washington Sundar, Sanju Samson, Arshdeep Singh, Srikar Bharat.
India currently stands 1st in ICC ODI rankings, 2nd in ICC Test rankings and 3rd in ICC T20I rankings.
Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) is the governing body of the Indian Cricket Team. The BCCI was set-up in 1928. It is arguably the richest cricket board in the world.
Some key details about BCCI are as follows:
- President: Roger Binny
- Vice-president: Rajeev Shukla
- Secretary: Jay Shah
- CEO: Hemang Amin
- Treasurer: Ashish Shelar
- Headquarters: Mumbai
Early Days and First Match
- In the 1700s, the British sailors of the East India Company would play cricket with the locals.
- The first ever cricket match on Indian soil was played in 1721.
- The British established India’s first ever cricket club in 1792, Calcutta Cricket Club.
- Mumbai’s Parsi community then went on to establish the first cricket club by Indians, Oriental Cricket Club in 1848.
- 30 years later, Parsis started receiving cricket match invitations from Europe.
- India was granted ICC recognition in 1926.
- India toured England in 1932 to play their first ever international Test. The team was led by C.K. Nayudu.
- Post independence, India faced the Don Bradman led Australia side in England.
- Despite improving, India was unable to emerge victorious.
- India ended this long wait by defeating Madras in 1952.
- India played their maiden One Day International against England in 1974.
- In 1983, India’s side led by Kapil Dev lifted the World Cup by defeating the dangerous West Indies.
Indian Cricket Team Stats
|Test||569||172||175||222 (221 Drawn and 1 tie)|
|ODI||1029||539||438||52 (43 no result and 9 tied)|
|T20I||199||127||63||9 (4 tie and 5 no result)|
Indian Cricket Team Achievements
- Winners of 1983 Cricket World Cup.
- Runners-up at Champions Trophy 2000.
- Joint title winners at Champions Trophy 2002.
- Runners-up at World Cup 2003.
- Winners of inaugural T20 World Cup in 2007.
- Winners of 2011 Cricket World Cup.
- Winners of Champions Trophy 2013.
- Runners-up at T20 World Cup in 2014.
- Runners-up at Champions Trophy 2017.
- Runners-up at the inaugural World Test Championship in 2021.
Statements Given By Cricketers on Indian Cricket Team
- “The big lesson for us is to never ever underestimate India”. – Justin Langer
- “India has the best fast bowling unit in the world”. – Sachin Tendulkar.
Some Unknown Facts about Indian Cricket Team
- India’s first captain was C.K. Nayudu. He led the Indian team in its first Test against England in 1932.
- India’s first ever ODI captain was Ajit Wadekar.
- India’s first ever T20I captain was Virender Sehwag who defeated South Africa in 2006 in the one-off fixture.
- Lala Amarnath was the first Indian to score a Test century.
- Kapil Dev was the first Indian to score an ODI century.
- Suresh Raina was the first India to score a T20I century.
- Mohammed Nissar was India’s first wicket taker in Tests.
- Eknath Solkar was India’s first wicket taker in ODI.
- Zaheer Khan was India’s first wicket taker in T20I.
FAQs about Indian Cricket Team
What is India’s highest total in ODIs?
India hammered their highest ODI total at Indore in 2011 against the West Indies. India scored 418 runs in 50 overs with 5 dismissals.
What is India’s highest T20I total?
India’s highest T20I total came at Indore against neighbors Sri Lanka in 2017. India registered a massive score of 260/5.
What is India’s highest total in Tests?
India’s highest Test total came at Chennai when they played England. In the 2nd innings of the fifth Test, India hit a record breaking total of 759 runs.
What is India’s highest run chase score in ODI?
India chased a total of 359 runs in 2013 at Jaipur against Australia.
Who is hailed as India’s best captain?
Virat Kohli is India’s best captain due to a high win percentage
Who is India’s first ever captain?
C.K. Nayudu was India’s first ever captain. He led India in its maiden test against England in 1932.
How many matches have been played between India and Pakistan?
The arch-rivals have faced off 203 times.
Who was India’s first ever coach?
Keki Tarapore was India’s first ever coach.
How many times did India win the World Cup?
India won the World Cup twice. First in the year 1983 and second in 2011.
What are the match fees for the Indian Cricket Team players?
The players earn around 15 Lakhs INR per Test match, 6 Lakhs INR per ODI and 3 Lakhs INR per T20I.