“Nicholas Pooran, kaam kare Sampoorn.” You might have heard these lines from the famous former Indian cricketer, now commentator Mr. Aakash Chopra. Today we’re going to talk about another explosive West Endian middle-order batsman who was the former captain of West Indies in the limited overs format – Nicholas Pooran.
Born on 2nd October 1995 in Couva, Trinidad & Tobago, Nicholas Pooran is known for his explosive strength and power hitting he is also a wicketkeeper and has taken a fifer too while bowling. He has also shown his gun fielding skills when he is asked to field instead of wicketkeeping.
He studied at Naparima College, San Fernando, Trinidad and Tobago where his cricket journey started as a kid while playing school-level cricket.
- Full Name: Nicholas Pooran
- Date of Birth: 2nd October 1995
- Age: 27 years (as of 2022)
- Birthplace: Couva, Trinidad & Tobago
- Nationality: Trinidadian
- Height: 1.73m
- Zodiac Sign: Libra
- Education: Naparima College, San Fernando, Trinidad and Tobago
- Marital Status: Married
- Wife: Alyssa Miguel (aka Kathrina Miguel)
- Batting Style: Left-handed
- Bowling Style: Right Arm Off Break
- Jersey Number: 8(for West Indies), 29(for Barbados Tridents and Syhlet Siders), 14&39 (for other franchises)
- Hobbies: Swimming, Travelling, Listening to music
- Religion: Christianity
- Favorite cricketers: MS Dhoni and AB de Villiers
- Social Media Profile: Instagram
Nicholas Pooran Family
Nicholas Pooran was born in Couva, Trinidad & Tobago. He hasn’t shared much information about his family members apart from his wife. Pooran was born into a cricket-loving family and has mentioned in some interviews about his father that he played a very important role in Pooran’s cricketing career as he always supported him and motivated him to play further. He also mentioned that his mother was a teacher and had a strong emphasis on education and studies. That emphasis may have contributed to Pooran’s study as he is a graduate. Pooran also has a sister who is very close to him they both have a strong bond. However, the names of his family members are not provided or available.
Nicholas Pooran met his wife Alyssa when they were young and they both know each other since childhood. They were good friends and eventually their friendship turned into love and they both started dating each other in 2014. The Trinidad hard hitter proposed to his childhood lover in November 2020. They both look good with each other and never fail to show their love on social media as well, especially on Instagram. They both are active on social media and never hesitate to put pictures of themselves for their fans who admire both of them. On January 29th, 2023, Nicholas became a father when he and his wife welcomed their daughter Alayra K Pooran into the world. They both shared pictures of their daughter on Instagram for their fans.
Nicholas Pooran belongs to a family which had a keen interest in cricket. So he had an interest in cricket from his childhood only. His father supported him throughout his journey. He started his cricket journey when from school cricket. He broke a lot of records while playing school cricket and eventually, he was selected for the U-19 West Indies World Cup squad in the 2014 edition which was held by UAE. He was the vice-captain and the first-choice wicketkeeper of the squad and had a great tournament as he scored 303 runs in a total of 6 matches and was the 4th highest scorer of the tournament. This included half-centuries against Canada and India and innings of 143 runs against the Aussies which was the highest score of the tournament and is considered as one of the most impressive and remembering innings of Nicholas Pooran. He was also selected for the Trinidad franchise for the inaugural CPL in 2013. On his debut, he scored a fiery 54 runs off 24 runs which included 6 monstrous sixes.
Nicholas Pooran made his T20I debut on 23rd September 2016 against Pakistan in Dubai International Cricket Stadium, Dubai. While batting at no.6, Pooran just scored just 5 runs out of 4 balls and got out on Hasan Ali’s bowling.
In February 2017, he was acquired by the Mumbai Indians for 30lacs, However, he warmed the bench for the whole season as he didn’t play a single game. In 2017 he was taken into the Islamabad United squad as a replacement for English batsman Ben Duckett. He made his debut against Karachi Kings. In October 2018, he was named to the Bangladesh Premier League and was acquired by Sylhet Sixers. He emerged as the highest run scorer for the team as he scored 379 runs in eleven matches. After that was bought by Kings Eleven Punjab for 4.2cr. He had a wonderful season as he scored 353 runs in 14 matches and hit 25 sixes which was 4th highest of the tournament.
He was named in the ODI squad for the series against England in February 2019. He made his ODI debut for West Indies on 20 February 2019 in Kensington Oval, Bridgetown, Barbados. It was a high-scoring encounter as both the teams scored more than 360 runs but unfortunately while batting at no.5 he got out by Adil Rashid on a duck. This match was very interesting as 360 runs made by West Indies were chased by the visiting team in just 48.4 overs. This match had 3 centurions- Chris Gayle(135), Jason Roy(123) and Joe Root(102). England won the match by 6wickets. He was selected for the 2019 ODI world cup squad and emerged as the highest run scorer for West Indies involving his first ODI ton against Sri Lanka on 1st July.
In July 2019 he was awarded the central contract for the first time by, Cricket West Indies. Soon in November 2019, he was found guilty of ball tampering against Afghanistan in the third ODI. He accepted the guilt and was banned for 4T2OIs. Because of his performance, he was selected as the captain of West Indies white ball formats on 3rd May 2022 and also led West Indies in the 2022 men’s T20 World Cup. However, he stepped down as the captain on 21st November 2022. He was bought by the Lucknow Super Giants in the IPL 23 auction for a whooping amount of 16cr. He is performing exceptionally well in the IPL 23.
|BBI||–||48 / 4||–||–|
|BBM||–||48 / 4||–||–|
Nicholas Pooran Records
- Fifties consecutive innings – 3 (T20I)
- Most consecutive innings without a duck – 43 (T20I)
- Winning all tosses in a series – 3 (T20I)
- Fastest to score 1000 runs – 27 innings (ODI)
Nicholas Pooran Awards
- In 2014, Pooran was named as the West Indies under-19 cricketer of the year.
- In 2019, he was named the Emerging Player of the Year by the Caribbean Premier League (CPL).
- In 2020, Pooran was awarded the West Indies’ T20I Player of the Year award.
- In the same year, he was also named in the ICC Men’s T20I Team of the Year.
- In 2021, he was named one of Wisden’s five Cricketers of the Year.
Nicholas Pooran Net Worth and Brand Endorsements
Brands endorsed by Pooran
- Under Armor
West Indies power hitter Pooran has a white Hyundai Tucson which costs 27.7 lakh rupees.
Nicholas Pooran’s net worth is expected to be around $1 million. However, this might not be an accurate figure and is just an assumption.
Cricketers’ Statements about Nicholas Pooran
- Chris Gayle, the West Indies legend, has praised Pooran for his batting skills and said, “Nicholas Pooran is a star in the making. The way he batted against Sri Lanka was magnificent, it was class.”
- Brian Lara, another West Indies legend, has called Pooran one of the most talented cricketers in the world and said, “Pooran is going to be a future leader for the West Indies. He’s such a talented cricketer, and I think he’s only going to get better.”
- Kieron Pollard, the West Indies captain, has praised Pooran’s character and work ethic and said, “Pooran is a hard-working guy, and he’s willing to put in the work to get better. He’s a character who never shies away from a challenge.”
- David Warner, the Australian cricketer, has called Pooran a “superstar” and said, “Pooran is a freak. He’s a superstar in the making, and I think he’s going to have a long and successful career in cricket.”
FAQs About Nicholas Pooran
1. What is Nicholas Pooran’s batting style?
Nicholas Pooran is a left-handed middle-order attacking batsman who is also a wicketkeeper.
2. What is the nickname of Nicholas Pooran?
Nicholas Pooran is often called Nicky.
3. When was Nicholas Pooran born and where?
Nicholas Pooran was born on 2nd October 1995 in Couva, Trinidad & Tobago.
4. What is Nicholas Pooran’s nationality?
Nicholas Pooran is a Trinidadian since he was born in Couva, Trinidad & Tobago.
5. From which IPL franchise is Nicholas Pooran playing?
1. Nicholas Pooran was playing for Lucknow Super Giants. He was bought by the LSG for a whooping amount of 16cr.