West Indies has dominated world cricket over the years in different formats. The team has always had players who looked strong and invincible.
The West Indies side has been a fan favorite especially with their shortest format dominance.
- Team: West Indies Cricket Team
- Also Known As: Windies
- Current Captain: Kraigg Braithwaite (Test), Shai Hope (ODI), Rovman Powell (T20I)
- Current Head Coach: Andre Coley (Test), Darren Sammy (ODI and T20I)
- Current Batting Coach: Monty Desai
- Current Bowling Coach: Kenny Benjamin
- Governing Body: Cricket West Indies
Players Under Contract
Jermaine Blackwood, Nkrumah Bonner, Kraigg Braithwaite, Joshua Da Silva, Jason Holder, Shai Hope, Akeal Hosein, Alzarri Joseph, Brandon King, Kyle Mayers, Obed McCoy, Nicholas Pooran, Rovman Powell, Kemar Roach, Jayden Sealed, Romario Shepherd, Odean Smith, Hayden Walsh Jr.
West Indies is currently ranked 8th in ICC Test rankings, 10th in ICC ODI rankings and 7th in ICC T20I rankings.
Cricket West Indies manages the tours and matches in the Islands. The board was found in 1920. Six years later, it was added into ICC’s full members’ list.
The current members of CWI are:
- President: Dr. Kishore Shallow
- Vice-president: Azim Bassarath
- CEO: Johnny Grave
West Indies Cricket Team Early Days and First Match
- In the 1890s, West Indies faced the visiting England teams which marked the beginning of cricket on the islands.
- It has been recognized as ICC’s full member since 1926.
- Two years later, West Indies was granted Test status and it became the fourth test playing nation.
- With the outbreak of the Second World War, West Indies was away from cricket for almost 9 years.
- With the inception of ODI cricket, West Indies side dominantly won the World Cup consecutively in 1975 and 1979.
- The team was considered invincible with the presence of fierce pacers and rock-solid batsmen.
West Indies Cricket Team Stats
|Test||571||182||208||181 (180 draws and 1 tie)|
|ODI||857||414||403||40 (10 ties and 30 no results)|
|T20I||179||75||94||9 (no results)|
West Indies Cricket Team Achievements
- World Cup winners in 1975
- World Cup winners in 1979
- World Cup runners-up in 1983
- Champions Trophy runners-up in 1998
- Champions Trophy winners in 2004
- Champions Trophy runners-up in 2006
- T20 World Cup winners in 2012
- T20 World Cup winners in 2016
Some Unknown Facts about West Indies Cricket Team
- Karl Nunes was West Indies’ first Test captain.
- Rohan Kanhai was West Indies’ first ODI captain.
- Shivnarine Chanderpaul was fWest Indies’ T20I captain.
- West Indies became the first team to win the World Cup consecutively after winning it in 1975 and 1979.
Some FAQs about West Indies Cricket Team
Q. Who has scored the most ODI centuries for West Indies?
Ans: Chris Gayle has scored 25 centuries for West Indies.